Children for Christ, Inc.

Record Group # 63

Box# es 294, 349 and 350

Content Summary: Minutes, organizational records, financial records and curriculum for the Children for Christ organization founded in St. Louis, Missouri in 1944. In its early years, this ministry was led by the Rev. Francis A. Schaeffer.

Span Dates: 1944 - 1982

Size: 1.5 cu. ft.

Access Restrictions: None

Collection Citation: Children for Christ, Inc., Records, Box __, Folder __: item description, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO.

Organizational Sketch:
During the meetings of the American Council of Christian Churches in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1945, a movement for child evangelism was launched on a national basis. Children for Christ, Incorporated, was a local organization in St. Louis which had its beginnings because of the reorganization of the Child Evangelism Fellowship program in that city earlier in 1945.
On 20 October 1945, Children for Christ, Incorporated was enlarged into a national organization. In 1948 it was made an international organization, with the national office in St. Louis, Missouri and the international office in Switzerland. The Rev. Francis A. Schaeffer was the International Director, and the Board of Children for Christ included the following:

W.H. Hordeaux, of New York City
W.W. Breackbill, Altoona, PA
N.C. Conant, Camden, NJ
W.O.H. Garman, Pittsburgh, PA
R.F. Hamilton, Philadelphia, PA
Calvin H. Harrah, St. Louis, MO
H.H. Iaggi, St. Louis, MO
Clyde Kennedy, Glendale, CA
R.T. Ketcham, Chicago, IL
Herman Kury, St. Louis, MO
Carl McIntire, Collingswood, NJ
Erle Ormsby, St. Louis, MO
M.H. Reynolds, Sr., Los Angeles, CA
F.A. Schaeffer, Lausanne, Switzerland
W.C. Standridge, Detroit, MI
H.O. Van Gilder, Jr., Cedar Springs, MI
E.G. Zorn, Chicago, IL

With the enlargement of the work to a national scale, an aggressive program began to be put in place. Already the program was ministering to thousands of children in the St. Louis area through child evangelism classes in the neighborhoods and through released time classes in the public school system. A work in Columbus, Ohio soon reported the organization of a work along similar lines, and other similar works were quickly replicated across the country. Dr. Schaeffer's efforts to establish Children for Christ chapters in post-war Europe were soon set aside as his work turned to a ministry to older students and that ministry became the L'Abri mission by 1955.

Finding Aid is normally located in folder number 1 of each box.

Subject        

Box

File

Account Book:  1954 – 1976

350

7

Account Book:  Accounts Payable, 1954 – 1969

350

4

Account Book:  Book Room Receipts, 1954 – 1970

350

5

Account Book:  Gifts, 1954 – 1966

350

6

Beckley, Stella, Teacher’s Manual

349

14

Bible Presbyterian Church, St. Louis, MO, Certificate

350

12

Bulletin

350

10

Bulletin Covers

350

11

Camp Program

349

7

Cash Ledger

350

2

Certificates, Stationery

350

8

Closing Financial Records, 1982

350

13

Edwards, Mary, Bible Study Course

349

6

Edwards, Mary, Heart of Salvation

349

10

Ephemera

350

3

Flannelgraph Aids

349

8

Hastings, Ruth O., Lessons from the Book of Acts

349

5

Helps for Teachers

349

2

Internal Revenue Service Papers, 1954 – 1962

350

15

Killam, Bernice, Bible Study:  Philemon

349

13

Minutes, 1944 – 1946

294

5

Minutes, 1944 – 1953

350

9

Minutes, 1947 – 1950

294

4

Minutes, 1951 – 1955

294

3

Minutes, 1956 – 1967

294

2

Minutes, excerpts

350

14

Miscellaneous

350

18

National Board of Children for Christ, Inc., 1944 – 1949, Minutes

350

16

National Board of Children for Christ, Inc., 1950 – 1963, Minutes

350

17

Order Forms and Lists

350

19

Sample Programs

350

20

Schaeffer, Francis A. and Edith, God’s History of Ancient Times

349

9

Schaeffer, Francis A. and Edith, Studies in Luke

349

11

Schaeffer, Francis A., Empire Builders for Boys

349

4

Schaeffer, Mrs. Francis A. (Edith), The Door of Salvation

349

3

Tracts and Booklets

350

21

Wallis, Marie, Missionary Train

349

12

 

 




5Picture of the "Class of 1944" standing in front of the First Bible Presbyterian Church. Rev. Schaeffer is standing at the end of the front row.