Position Papers: 1973 - 1993
13th General Assembly, 1985, 13-65, III, 5, p. 133.
OVERTURE ON PORNOGRAPHY
5. To adopt this personal resolution as follows:
Whereas, the Scripture calls us as the people of
God to be holy as God is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16), and condemns all sexual
activity outside of marriage (Galatians 5:19), and
Whereas, the spread of pornographic literature and film is great throughout our land, with child pornography as the fastest growing, and
Whereas, the pornographic industry is an estimated eight billion dollar operation annually and a stronghold of organized crime, and
Whereas, social scientists have shown the connection between pornography and violent sexual crimes, and
Whereas, pornography exploits women and children and contributes to the breakdown of the family, and
Whereas, pornography is a result of growing secular humanism in our land, and
Whereas, pornography is an issue of the sanctity of human life along with the unborn and the elderly, and
Whereas, we as Christians must stand against the Evil One who is behind pornography (Ephesians 6:10-13),
Be it resolved the the Thirteenth General Assembly of the PCA:
1. Directs Christian Education and Publications (CE/P) to designate official representation to the Third National Consultation on Obscenity, Pornography and Indecency in Cincinnati in September, 1985.
2. Encourages CE/P to include the issue of pornography and its effects on our culture among its educational concerns.
3. Requests CE/P to include in their report to the Fourteenth General Assembly their actions on this issue over the preceding year.
4. Urges the members of the churches of our denomination to be involved in various efforts of fighting pornography in our land.
[cf. Minutes, 13-3, F., Personal Resolution #1, p. 69, for
original draft of this resolution]